Water Soul: Ocean-conscious Sun Care
How to protect your skin and the environment with eco-friendly formulas
Many other factors threaten the biodiversity of the oceans, which play a central role in regulating the climate balance of the planet. Oxygen deficiency, acidification, warming and the intensive presence of waste in multiple forms including plastics are increasingly serious and evident threats affecting all life forms present in this important aquatic component of the Earth’s surface. In addition to these, it is estimated that between 4,000 and 6,000 tons of sunscreen is released every year in tropical coral reef areas, possibly causing further damage to the ecosystem.
The use of sunscreen to protect the health of the skin is fortunately a long-established habit for most people, but it is only recently that the impact that filters can cause on the environment has been discovered. In fact, since 2017, in some parts of the world, characterized by beautiful coral reefs, the potential link between damage to the aquatic environment and the increased use of sunscreen has begun to be assessed.
In particular, during the last 30 years almost 30% of coral reefs have been irreparably lost and it has been observed that corals, ideal habitat and food resource for various animal and plant species, are subject to a phenomenon of progressive bleaching with consequent reproductive incapacity. The main cause, the overheating of the oceans, is aggravated by the excessive presence of sun filters in the water, in particular chemical filters such as OXYBENZONE and OCTINOXATE and physical filters such as TITANIUM DIOXIDE, which have a high toxicological impact on the aquatic environment.
[ comfort zone ], which has always been committed to the research of sustainable and safe cosmetics, has developed WATER SOUL a sustainable, ocean-conscious line, which guarantees optimal protection and minimizes the impact on the aquatic environment.
These are the criteria we have followed to ensure a perfect protection for the skin and the environment:
- UVA/UVB BROAD SPECTRUM PROTECTION WITH REDUCED FILTER CONCENTRATION (-36% compared to the same protection factors developed according to traditional methods).
- VERY WATER-RESISTANT FORMULAS (80 MIN) stay longer on the skin, protecting it more and reducing the dispersion of filters in water. the effectiveness of the sun protection factor remains higher than 50% of the one declared after 4 water immersions of 20 minutes each.
- PHOTOSTABLE CHEMICAL FILTERS OF LARGE DIMENSIONS, guarantee greater protection with less absorption and reduced accumulation in the seas.
- FREE FROM FILTERS SUCH AS OXYBENZONE, OCTINOXATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, ZINC OXIDE.
- FRAGRANCE FREE.
- FREE FROM ANIMAL DERIVATIVES, SILICONES, PARABENS, MINERAL OIL.
- HIGH PERCENTAGE OF NATURAL ORIGIN INGREDIENTS.
- SCIENTIFICALLY AND CLINICALLY TESTED.
We have also focused our attention on the sustainability of packaging and production:
- FORMULAS DESIGNED AND MADE IN ITALY IN A CARBON-NEUTRAL PRODUCTION SITE (DAVINES VILLAGE PARMA)
- BOTTLE MADE WITH 100% RECYCLED PLASTIC.
- 100% C02 NEUTRAL PACKAGING WITH THE PROPRIETARY ETHIOTREES CARBON OFFSETTING PROJECT IN ETHIOPIA.